There are over 350,000 home fires destroying houses and claiming thousands of lives every year. It is important to be prepared and this is why you need to ensure that your smoke detectors are working properly. You need to do the following to ensure that your home is safe and that the smoke detector will warn you or anyone else in the house when there is a potential fire.
- Always check the battery – It is important to ensure that the battery on the smoke detector is working because it is what runs this device. Replace the battery at least once a year and if the batteries are aged and have corroded into the detector’s receptacles, you might want to replace the unit.
- Do not overlook the monthly reliability test –Even in situations where the batteries are new, it is important that you test your smoke detectors every month to check if they are working. If they malfunction or do not work at all, replace them.
- Install different types of detectors – There are two types of smoke detectors each with its own ability to detect smoke. Ionization alarms are more efficient in detecting flaming fires while photo electric smoke detectors will easily detect shouldering flames. For this reason, it is important to install both of these smoke detectors to increase the protection levels.
- Replace old smoke detectors – Most people do not know that their smoke detectors have expiration dates. Even if these devices are still working, it is recommended that you replace the smoke detector after every 8 to 10 years. If you cannot find the expiration date which should be stamped on the alarm’s back, then it means you need to replace this unit since it is so old that it was not manufactured using the modern standards.
- Install the detector properly – If it is possible, smoke detectors should not be installed near bathrooms, kitchens, fireplaces or laundry areas. The alarms might be activated by normal fumes and steam; this might cause panic. You should also not place them near ventilations or fans where the smoke will not reach them. Keep in mind that smoke detectors might malfunction in areas with temperatures above 100 and below 32 degrees F.
It is recommended by the US Fire Administration that smoke detectors should be installed inside and outside bedrooms. You should at least have one smoke detector in all levers of the house and one in all bedrooms especially if you smoke or use heat generating or noisy appliances. Other areas include exits out of a home and pathways. Always have a qualified electrician install smoke detectors in your home for maximum operation and protection.
Smoke Detector Installation
Smoke detectors should be installed:
- High in the wall but approximately 4 to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
- In the ceiling centre or at least 4 to 12 inches from the wall.
- Away from dead spaces such as the peak of the ceiling
- Interconnected all through the home because one detector will set off all the alarms in the house. Some people may be far away from the detector that has gone off and will not hear it. when they all sound the alarm, everyone in the house will be alerted.
Smoke detectors have saved a lot of lives and will still save more if they are used properly. Contact Failsafe Electric today and we will send our professional electricians to have smoke detectors installed properly. Don’t be a victim, have the best smoke detectors installed or have your current units tested for reliability.